30 December 2010

Reflecting on Times and Places

Whenever a new year approaches, I know that I need to spend some more time reflecting on the one that is passing, and those that have gone before.  Do you have a similar need?  Perhaps you do not feel that such reflection is a need at all.  Why do we think differently on the subject?

The above questions are ones you may wish to answer in relation to my By Any Other Name blog.  It is a respectful exploration of identity.






Have you ever thought about how much the world has changed since your grandparents were born - and about what has not changed?


Here are some years to compare (with the help of Wikipedia):

1906  1909  1910  1911  1915  2009  2010


My grandparents were born in 1906, 1909 and 1915.  None of them will experience 2011.  And none of us alive today yet know if we will experience that year, either.  I hope you think of this fact in terms of facing reality rather than being pessimistic!


My maternal grandparents, Harry and Dorothy, were both born in 1906, the same year as the following:


In political and intellectual life:  A.J.P. Taylor, Hannah Arendt, Leonid Brezhnev




Louise Brooks



My paternal grandfather, George, was born in 1909, the same year as the following:
 

In political and intellectual life:  Isaiah Berlin, C. Northcote Parkinson, Andrei Gromyko, Simone Weil




My paternal grandmother, Vera, was born in 1915, the same year as the following:


In political and intellectual life: John Profumo, Augosto Pinochet, Yitzhak Shamir













Here are some of my earlier Continual Journeys blog posts that you may wish to think about:


















Here are some more of my Continual Journeys blog posts to think about:


Saving to travel

Many like to travel

Travels of a social entrepreneur


Understanding the world

Many new beginnings

A rural retreat and something to eat

Remembering Icarus


A great deal has happened in the world, and in my own life, since I started blogging at the beginning of 2009.  What has been happening in your life?  Have you been reflecting upon what has happened, and how it may have changed your outlook on life itself?








You may have noticed that I am ending my second year of blogging with a very long blog post.  This itself is part of my process of reflection.  If you have visited any of my previous blog posts, you will probably have found them to be much shorter than this one.


Here are a few more to visit:






Perhaps you find that my blogs take you on a journey of self discovery.  If you believe you need a more conducive environment for such a journey to take place, how would you describe that environment, and where might it be found?







A few more of my blog posts:


Past, present, future

On the sublime, the superlative and the soggy

Life, work and travel


The journey through life

Books about journeys

Journeys through time


And some more...


More musical adventures

The romance of travel

Travel books


Reflecting on the past

Searching for meaning

Singing, dancing and travelling


Love, loss, life and nostalgia

The inner world

Still resting






A retreat should be a place for abstractions but not distractions.  How do you relate to abstractions?  Have you looked up the word on Wikipedia?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.