08 January 2011

The Journey to Work

Have you ever thought about your long-term journey to work?  If you have to travel a long distance to and from a job each day, have you also had a long way to go in life to achieve what you have so far accomplished?


Knowledge

I worked hard at school in Britain in the late 1970s.  I tried to make the best of my studies, even though I found many of the subjects boring, either in the way they were taught, or because many of my classmates found the subjects boring and I wanted to "fit in".


Skills

I went to college after I left school so that I could learn some useful "job skills", such as a faster typewriting speed, Pitman's shorthand, office administration and management theory.  I had no idea what I wanted for or from a "career" and there seemed to be no point in planning for one when jobs were very scarce anyway.


Future

When we are young, our future is something we may look towards with a feeling of uncertainty.  I know I certainly felt uncertain about what life may have had in store for me.

Take a look at this link from the BBC of unemployment in Britain from 1981 to today.

I was learning shorthand at college in 1981 - and I hated it!  At school, at least in my mid teens, I had reasonably neat handwriting.  After learning shorthand, I could neither read my own longhand handwriting nor read my shorthand very well.  Secretarial work was not what I really wanted to do but it was the best I could expect, and at least I gained employment with my skills as soon as I applied for work.


Career

Without a career plan, I chose to travel whenever I could save up enough money to do so - though always on a very tight budget.  Perhaps that is why I can still live well on a small amount of money today, and can spend the time working on developing my "real" career - as a writer.  

So, all those noisy and boring typing lessons - on manual typewriters - came in useful in the long term.  I can easily write a blog post today in less than five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment